Viper's SmartStart: Remote Start, Unlock Using Your iPhone

Oct 14, 2009

Want to start your car remotely? There's an app for that. Viper has announced the SmartStart, a free app that, with the addition of a SmartStart module in your car (not free!), will allow you to remotely start your car, and more.

Here's what you can do with the StartSmart:

  • Lock/arm
  • Unlock/disarm
  • Remote car starter
  • Trunk release
  • Panic or car finder
If you already have a Viper remote start / security system in your car, the price is $299 for the VSM100 module. If you don't, it's $499 for the works. Viper says Best Buy can install it for you.

I'll admit, this is cool, but since I already have keyless entry in both my cars, why would I want it? Now, here's what I would like to see: an app that allowed my iPhone to work as my keyless entry fob, so I can ditch the one I carry. This would have to work with a variety of cars, however, and probably isn't practical to develop.

Additionally, the good thing about those keyless entry fobs is that they include a backup key, in case your battery dies. I'd hate to have my iPhone battery run out, with either SmartStart or my "dream app," without a backup.

There is one advantage to Viper's SmartStart: virtually unlimited range. It uses the iPhone's data connection to connect to the module, not the limited-range IRDA or Bluetooth. Here's another negative though: after a one-year freebie, you pay $30 annually for the service.


 
 
 
free counters 
HTML Hit Counter